[Sca-cooks] Chawettys meatloaf

Amy Cooper amy.s.cooper at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 05:17:20 PDT 2008

Well, I'd say it turned out, and went over pretty well. If I'm going to make
this amount again, I'm going to have to use a TON of saffron - it rather
disappeared, and I only saw a hint of it in the slice I got. I won't
wine-soak the dates, as they dissolved (good flavor, no texture). And, I
will use more ginger. It came out rather like a cloved meatloaf, with fruity
bits. I was hoping for more of the ginger bite, but that's me. Also serves
me right for using the ginger I had around, while fresh-grinding the cloves.

I hadn't thought about using something like  for the pie. My freezer is jam
packed with meat right now, so I didn't even look for a pastry of any sort,
because I assumed (key word, I know), that I'd have to freeze or otherwise
store what was left over. My personal tastes do not run towards pies and
sweets, so I just haven't worked much with pastry, and I'm not happy with
how my breads turn out. If I was doing this for an event feast, then yes,
I'd figure out a "wrapper" of some sort, then put someone else in charge
*evil grin*

It also turned out that I had zero extra time - by the time the meatloaf had
reached 155 degrees in the center of the thickest part, we had to LEAVE. My
lord husband (who was away for the weekend) came home while I was still at
feast, to an absolutely destroyed kitchen. The dear that he is, he cleaned
up by the time I got home, but I felt bad that he had to clean.

And now, on to the plotting for next month's dish! :)

Ilsebet