[Sca-cooks] Military cooking, was Re: OT: Veracity of Entertainment Sources

James Davis firedrake at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 31 07:47:15 PDT 2008

On Mar 31, 2008, at 7:38 AM, Susan Fox wrote:

[snip]

> Um... food content... the guy who played the mess hash slinger wrote a
> cookbook, SECRETS OF THE M*A*S*H MESS, but it was really not Army food
> by any means, just a hook to hang a cookbook on.  I salute the poor
> military members worldwide who happen to be "foodies" and have to live
> with the very opposite of what they want to be eating.
>
> Selene

When I was in Germany, we were lucky in that the mess halls and the O-
club had local German cooks, who would throw out the "planned menus"
the Army commissary service suggested and do whatever they pleased!
It was WONderful.  1st Support Brigade had the best chow hall in
Europe, I think.

Jared
(remembering spiessbraten in the messhall)