[Sca-cooks] Aillie was Salt fish recipes?-- I.E. SALTED (preserved) fish

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu May 1 05:10:44 PDT 2008

This comes from Doc's translation of
/"Enseignements qui enseingnent a apareillier toutes manieres de viandes"/
where if you look at the text in full and do a search,  one will discover
mentions like this:

For capons and hens -- Capons and hens are good roasted, with a sauce of
wine in summer, in winter with /aillie/  sauce made of garlic and
cinnamon and ginger, tempered with almond milk or sheep's milk.

White cuttlefish with /aillie/ of vinegar. Item, cuttlefish in onion
gravy, also fried in oil, with strained almonds and pepper all together.

Doc notes in footnote 4. /The word "aillie" is particularly problematic.
Modernly it would indicate a garlic sauce, but its use in this source is
not consistent with that translation. Used as a verb it could also mean
to mix or add a sauce, but again its use in this source is not
consistent with that translation. I leave it here untranslated, as if it
is the proper name of a category of admixtures which may or may not
contain garlic.

Enseignements was published in 1604 but it actually dates from the
middle 1580's according to Terence Scully.

Another recipe along this line is this one:
/

This is an excerpt from *Libro di cucina / Libro per cuoco*
(Italy, 14th/15th c. - Louise Smithson, trans.)
The original source can be found at Louise Smithson's website
<http://www.geocities.com/helewyse/libro.html>

III - Agliata (garlicky sauce). Agliata for every meat, take the garlic
and cook it under the coals then grind to a paste well and mix it with
raw garlic and crumb of bread, sweet spices and broth, and mix each
thing together and let it boil a little and serve it warm.

/
/There's also  Aillade which is defined as "a very thick sauce based on
a purée of garlic."
Walnut kernels are blended with garlic, walnut oil is added, then
seasoned with salt to taste. You can do this in a mortar or pestle, or
in a food processor or blender.
It is often served with duck as a side sauce for dipping the pieces of
meat in.
"Aillade ariégeoise" is an egg yolk thinned with some oil, to which is
added the egg white with a clove of garlic.
History
In the Middle Ages, Aillade was made from garlic, almonds or other nuts,
and bread crumbs. It was used among other things for garnishing dishes
and seasoning soups.
http://www.practicallyedible.com/

Johnnae