[Sca-cooks] Ricotta non mascarpone (was RE: NOTT feast report (VERY long) (was fish))

Kerri Martinsen kerri.martinsen at gmail.com
Thu May 1 07:06:30 PDT 2008

It is two different chemical processes:

Rennet is a chemical from the stomachs of calves.
'rennet' (containing the proteases chymosin and pepsin), is involved in the
coagulation of the milk to form curds, which are then turned into cheese by
compression. The proteases hydrolyse a specific peptide linkage between
phenylalanine and methionine residues in the k-casein protein found in milk.
This results in the release of a hydrophilic caseino macropeptide and a
hydrophobic para-k-casein, and the protective and stabilising effect of
k-casein protein on the milk is hence removed. This means the coagulation
process and therefore the cheese-making process can then take place. (from
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070609062319AASFW4Z)

In essence, Rennet is a enzyme that changes the structure of the milk
proteins (specifically, the rennet cleaves to a piece of the casein
molecule, changing the structure of the molecule).  Vinegar is an acid that
interacts with the casein proteins and allow it to stick together.  So you
are talking 2 different chemical processes.

Tartic acid is a white crystalline organic acid found on grapes and is one
of the main acids found in wine.

I'm willing to bet the first marcapone was a happy accident of some cook
adding wine to cream over heat.

Vitha
baby cheesemaker and really good at google...
(I did always want to be a chemist..)