[Sca-cooks] Coffin Construction

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu May 1 09:34:51 PDT 2008

Saluti!

I know that I have been pestering the list a goodly bit in the past
couple of weeks - this feast is driving me nuts! I don't know why this
one is proving to be so challenging.

My newest obstacle is coffin construction. I want to redact this
recipe this weekend:

Anon Tuscan Translated by Vittoria
A cup of chicken or other fowl.
[125] Cut chickens or fowl into pieces; dilute flour with hot water,
and make it very stiff: then make the shape of a cup from said dough
and put in it the aforementioned chickens with whole green grapes,
saffron and spices, and a bit of cold water, and close it on top with
dough, and put it in the oven or rather on top of pans; and on the top
of the cup put a big piece of lard.

And I wanted to take advantage of the experience of anyone on this
list who has attempted coffins before. What formula did you use for
the coffin dough (I say formula because recipe implies that someone
will eat it)? Any tips on raising the durn things? Pitfalls? Also, one
of the major tools I have on the site is a convection oven - do you
think that since the coffin is sealed it would be fine in there or can
anyone foresee problems with a convection oven.

>From the recipe it seems that the crust is flour + water. Any thoughts
on proportions?

I look forward to your replies.

Grazie,