[Sca-cooks] Salt fish recipes?-- I.E. SALTED (preserved) fish

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 10:04:46 PDT 2008

> > It's possible the two words have the same origin, whether
> or not they
> > mean the same. The Dictionary of the Scots Tongue
> > (http://www.dsl.ac.uk) has,
> > s.v. Gansel
> >
> >  [O.Sc. has gansell, from c.1470, used only in proverbial
> sayings and
> > with the orig. meaning of garlic sauce; Mid.Eng.
> > gaunsell, ad. O.Fr. ganse
> > aillie , garlic-sauce, from ganse, some kind of sauce +  aillie ,
> > adj., from ail, garlic.]
>
> That makes sense.  A lot of the names of dishes in Middle
> English cookbooks are corrupted French.  I hadn't made the
> connection between "gauncile" in TFCCB and "Jance a aulx" (or
> ganse-ail) in Menagier.
> Thanks!
>
> - Doc

I *don't* know if this is directly connected or not, but consider also
that modern German "gans" (or approximately that rendition) translates
as "goose".  Grease from geese, or garlic sauce for a goose, or I dunno
what else THAT may imply.  Or not.

Amra
Kitchen Idiot (and linguistic garbage collector, betimes)

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/