[Sca-cooks] Coffin Construction

V A phoenissa at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:20:43 PDT 2008

Ciao Serena,

I'm going to be a little contrary :-) and go totally against the grain of
everyone else's recommendation to use a lard- or butter-based pastry.  The
Anonimo Toscano recipe collection dates from ca. 1400, and that strikes me
as very early to be using fat in pastry dough.  I don't see a lot of
evidence for use of fat in pie crusts until later 15th-16th c (mid-16th you
start getting pastry fortified with butter/lard and eggs, which is a whole
other creature).  Written evidence aside, there's also the question of
simple logic: Fat is expensive, and the "coffin" is not meant to be eaten.
Why would you put all that expensive animal product into a shell that's
going to be thrown away or tossed to the poor?  Then again, if you intend
for diners at the feast to eat the "coffins", by all means use make it
delicious with lard or butter. :-)

I don't know whether it's possible to make a flour-and-water dough stand up
on its own, so I would assume you would use a pie pan.  To get the "cup"
shape described in the recipe, you can try doing what the cooks for the
"Perfectly Period Feast" did (this is the 15th-c English feast that Cariadoc
and Urtatim have been describing, which happened at West Kingdom Collegium
this past weekend).  The cooks built their "coffins" in modern springform
pans, so that they could be molded and baked in the correct shape, but could
be presented at the feast as freestanding objects, not a pie pan in sight.
Nearly all the pies were flat and shallow, but the veal pie (I think) for
the High Table looked like it was at least 6-8 inches tall!  His Grace
undoubtedly got a better look at it than I did (I was off in the corner with
the other musicians), so I will leave it to him to give a more accurate
description if necessary.  (Those "coffins" were not eaten, by the way; the
top crusts were removed, and the filling chopped and spooned onto guests'
trenchers.)

I was involved with almost every aspect of that feast *except* the food,
ironically, so I can't tell you whether the cooks used fat in their pie
crusts, or how precisely they formed them -- but I can certainly find out
for you.  Let me know if you want more information.  Good luck with the
feast!

Vittoria