[Sca-cooks] Ricotta non mascarpone

Dragon dragon at crimson-dragon.com
Thu May 1 13:17:39 PDT 2008

smcclune at earthlink.net wrote:
> [...]

I am going to surmise that the call for "new earthenware pots" is
because the pots they would have been using were probably not glazed
and previously used ones may harbor spoilage organisms in the pores
of the clay. Unglazed earthenware is quite porous, new, unused pots
would have been sterilized in the firing process and that is probably
the only time they would have been heated hot enough for a prolonged
period to destroy all possibility of contamination. Now of course
they would not have known that the problems arose from organisms but
they would have been observant to the effects.

I believe that the temperature of the milk would have been raised
further than you think. But without experimenting with it and
measuring it, I can't be sure of that. It is very likely that the
milk would have been near body temperature because it likely would
have been used fairly quickly after milking the animal.

You could use glazed pots for this, the only reason earthenware was
commonly used at the time was because it was what was readily
available. I am not certain about when high-fire ceramics began to be
used but they are definitely towards the later end of the time scale
and probably not common in classical Roman times.

I think this bears some experimentation.

Every modern recipe for an acid curdled cheese that I have seen does
it at a much higher temperature and with a smaller quantity of acid.
The acid is definitely more active at higher temperatures as the
types of acids used for this are "weak" acids which do not fully
dissociate. Higher temperatures result in more hydrogen ions forming
as more acid molecules dissociate.

Dragon