[Sca-cooks] Old French Ailliee

Patrick Levesque petruvoda at videotron.ca
Thu May 1 15:54:21 PDT 2008

Rabelais (a bit later) mentions amongst the lowest of the professions, that
of "Crieur de Sauce Verte"

(amongst the lowest because, obviously, everyone could make their own green
sauce).

Doesn't help much as far as recipes go, however, but we could probably find
close approximation in extant texts. I doubt it would be anything close to
aioli, however. Probably a sharp sauce with garlic. I don't know what the
relative price of olive oil was in period in various areas of France but I
suspect it might have been a bit too expensive for street peddlars (at
least, when compared to cheap wine vinegar).

Petru, de-lurking briefly