[Sca-cooks] Coffin Construction

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Thu May 1 17:01:01 PDT 2008

But there is lard used in the
*Roman pastry*.
[116] Take a chicken cut into pieces, spices and saffron and savory
herbs: mix them together and fry them a bit: then add beaten eggs and a
good amount of verjuice; and meanwhile make the crust; then assemble the
pastry, making two or three "soles" [/solare/ = bottom crust] and
putting spices on each: on top of this put lard and cover the pastry and
make a hole in the middle [of the top crust]: on top of this shape birds
or whatever other animals you like out of dough; and put lard on them,
cook them in the oven, and serve. You can do the same with minced meat
and fresh cheese.

which is in the same manuscript.
/*Parma-style tart.*/ [Tart of Parma]
[122] Take chickens cut into pieces and fry them with finely sliced
onions, with a good amount of lard; and once the chickens are cooked
enough put spices and a fair amount of salt on them.
also calls for lard.

Johnnae