[Sca-cooks] aioli or allioli and mayon-naise

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu May 1 20:58:51 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
Niccolo wrote:
> Aioli is a daughter sauce from the mother: mayonnaise.

I disagree. Allioli came first, mayonnaise would be its daughter as she
is more than 300 years younger as far as we know. The relationship
between the two is the technique: beating  garlic or an egg in a mortar
while adding olive oil one drop at a time. The consistency is quite
similar and without smelling them, it is hard to tell the difference
once we look at the finished products.
Those are the basics. After that we have home recipes like mine and all
the variations.
Suey > > > > > > >

In modern French orthodoxy of sauces, which is where the mother/daughter
concept is primarily found . . . the mayonnaise is made, and then the aioli
is built from there.

The allioli does not seem to be the foundational sauce to build mayonnaise.
I think it is a language think . . . I was not saying one developed
historically before the other, but that one is the foundation of craeting
the other . . . aioli and mayonnaise from classic French Cuisine.  Being
different in spelling and form from the Allioli in discussion.

So many names for so many garlic conflagrations smeared on other foods :o)

niccolo difrancesco