[Sca-cooks] What to do with this meat

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Mon May 5 09:33:09 PDT 2008

A local grocery store has been having serious sales on one meat for one day
only in recent weeks.  It's a sort of one day loss leader.

So I've been having fun experimenting with a variety of dishes.

One of the recent meats has me puzzled though.  It was marketed as "Country
Ribs" but it's really a  bar shaped piece of  pork shoulder.  Each bar sort
of looks like a faux rib and is about  1-1.5 inches in cross section and
weighs about 1/2 pound per bar.  From looking at the meat, it seems like an
ideal cut to use modernly  for pulled bbq pork (slow cooked) or to grind and
mix into meatballs.

Using medieval recipes, short of timetraveling to North Carolina or Kansas
and zipping back to the middle ages with a future recipe (and --whoops--some
new world tomato ingredients for the bbq sauce :-) ) what sort of dishes
could I use it for?

So far I have considered slowcooking the meat with something to flavor it
(onions, herbs, spices???) and then using it to make some pasties.  It might
also work in some long cooking soups, but if I wasn't careful, I'd have some
really chewy bits there.

What recipes would turn this into something good?

Sharon
gordonse at one.net