[Sca-cooks] What to do with this meat

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Mon May 5 10:05:36 PDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 12:33 -0400, Sharon Gordon wrote:
> One of the recent meats has me puzzled though.  It was marketed as "Country
> Ribs" but it's really a  bar shaped piece of  pork shoulder.  Each bar sort
> of looks like a faux rib and is about  1-1.5 inches in cross section and
> weighs about 1/2 pound per bar.  From looking at the meat, it seems like an
> ideal cut to use modernly  for pulled bbq pork (slow cooked) or to grind and
> mix into meatballs.

It sounds like what you've got is slices from the upper portion of a
shoulder blade roast: the part including and above the bone. Part from
the usual smokey and barbecue-sauce-ey incarnations, my feeling is that
what a benign Providence intended was for them to braised with
sauerkraut, onion, white wine and apples, or even upping the ante a bit
and braising with sauerkraut, beef stock, onion, wild mushrooms, garlic,
caraway and paprika...

> Using medieval recipes, short of timetraveling to North Carolina or Kansas
> and zipping back to the middle ages with a future recipe (and --whoops--some
> new world tomato ingredients for the bbq sauce :-) ) what sort of dishes
> could I use it for?

How about the Fillets in Galantyne recipe in Cariadoc's Miscelleny, just
making sure the cooking-in-liquid portion is sufficient for tenderness?
I believe it calls for a 1/2 hour braise, which should be pretty close,
anyway...

For those who like them, these would probably be a pretty good venue for
a jellied pork terrine, braised, picked off the bone, packed into a mold
with a well-seasoned, well-reduced cooking stock poured over it.

Adamantius