[Sca-cooks] What to do with this meat

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon May 5 10:07:06 PDT 2008

> Sharon Gordon wrote:
>>A local grocery store has been having serious sales on one meat for one day
>>only in recent weeks. It's a sort of one day loss leader.
>>
>>So I've been having fun experimenting with a variety of dishes.
>>
>>One of the recent meats has me puzzled though. It was marketed as "Country
>>Ribs" but it's really a bar shaped piece of pork shoulder. Each bar sort
>>of looks like a faux rib and is about 1-1.5 inches in cross section and
>>weighs about 1/2 pound per bar. From looking at the meat, it seems like an
>>ideal cut to use modernly for pulled bbq pork (slow cooked) or to grind and
>>mix into meatballs.
>>
>>So far I have considered slowcooking the meat with something to flavor it
>>(onions, herbs, spices???) and then using it to make some pasties. It might
>>also work in some long cooking soups, but if I wasn't careful, I'd have some
>>really chewy bits there.
>>
>>What recipes would turn this into something good?
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> What you have is very probably a pork shoulder cut that is fabricated
> to resemble a "boneless rib". I don't have any specific recipes to
> recommend, just some general guidelines for using this cut.
>
> Because it is a tougher cut, it really needs slow cooking to be
> tender. Any sort of stew recipe would be a good choice. Braising
> would be good too. Or you can grind it and add some fat back to make
> sausage or meatballs.
>
> Pork pies would be a good choice so you are thinking along the right
> lines there.
> Dragon

It isn't a tough cut.  To the contrary, it is very tender.  You must watch the fat content and to be sure you aren't getting the end bits that are a totally different  part of the hog and look different in colour and marbling.

To be honest, I have used this cut of meat in several recipes and stews for many years.  It is very economical and versitile.  You can put them on the grill or chunk for stews and recipes that call for sliced or chunked pork.  You can stew it down for BBQ (who adds tomatos to BBQ sauce?), or you can put them in the oven to bake or broil whole.  Very good almost any way you cook them.
Olwen