[Sca-cooks] What to do with this meat

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon May 5 19:15:37 PDT 2008

Sharon asked:

<<< One of the recent meats has me puzzled though.  It was marketed
as "Country
Ribs" but it's really a  bar shaped piece of  pork shoulder.  Each
bar sort
of looks like a faux rib and is about  1-1.5 inches in cross section and
weighs about 1/2 pound per bar. >>>

Oh! That's where the "Country Ribs" come from. I wasn't sure and
assumed it was some kind of boneless rib meat.

<<< From looking at the meat, it seems like an
ideal cut to use modernly  for pulled bbq pork (slow cooked) or to
grind and
mix into meatballs.>>>

I've usually used one of the various Indian or southeast Asia sauce
mixes with these.

<<< What recipes would turn this into something good? >>>

Similar to the asian stewed meat dishes I've used this with, I would
try a medieval stew or bruit.
In the Florilegium FOOD-MEATS section:
stews-bruets-msg  (82K)  7/22/06    Period stews and bruets. Recipes.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com