[Sca-cooks] Need Advice on cookbooks

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri May 9 08:17:07 PDT 2008

Morvran wrote:
>I am looking for period recipes or just slightly out of period recipes
>for sauces.   Lots of sauces.  I am doing a Project and I am having
>trouble locating recipes and after spending some time reading a lot of
>information that you all have put together.  Wow, I have a lot of
>reading to do.  but back to the project.
>
>I need 5 sauces at least from each of the following areas:

First, let me recommend Poison Pen Press as a source for SCA-period cookbooks.
http://www.poisonpenpress.com/cookery.html
I prefer to support small booksellers over the likes of faceless
corporations like Amazon. Yes, i do buy books from Amazon, but often
the SCA-related ones are no cheaper there than from a small book
seller.

Next, i get this list as a Digest, so i'm often quite a few hours
behind the original posting.

>Irish

No SCA-period cookbooks. There may be some archaeological information.

>Celtic

This is not a language, it's a family of languages and cultures. What
do you mean by Celtic?

>Latin

This is a language, not a culture. Many cookbooks were written in
Latin. Are you looking for recipes from ancient Rome? Or any cookbook
written in Latin?

>German

1350 Daz Buch von Guter Spise.
The on-line translation has many errors, so i recommend the published
translation into English by Melitta Weiss. The author of the on-line
version has done us a great service making her work available, and
Weiss is unduly unkind to her. However, the more i use the on-line
source, the more i see the errors, which is why i'm not including the
link. I used one of the sauces for a feast and discovered via this
list that the translation was wrong... after i'd done the feast.

I host three cookbooks translated by a genuine German in the SCA.
These contain corrections made by the translator not found on the
versions on the Florilegium
* 15th C. Das Kochbuch des Meisters Eberhard
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/MeisterEberhard.html
* late 15 C Kochbuch Ostpreussens
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/Konigsberg.html
* 15-16 C Bayerische Kochrezepte:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/Inntal.html

1553 Kochbuch der Sabina Welser
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/Medieval/Cookbooks/Sabrina_Welserin.html
(note that the "r" in "Sabrina" the URL is an error - the author is
really Sabina)

>Danish
>(I seen the cookbook in the file I will read it, thanks one down)

>Polish

Food and Drink in Medieval Poland, Rediscovering a Cuisine of the Past
by Maria Dembinska, translated and edited by William Woys Weaver
The editing of the version published in English has damaged
Dembinska's original work, but it's what we've got...

>Greek

What time period are you looking for? Ancient Greek? Byzantine?

>Spanish

The 14th C. Catalan language cookbook, Libre de Sent Sovi is being
published in English translation this year! Yea! At long last!

late 15th-early 16th C.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados2-art.html

>Middle Eastern

How do you define the Middle East? What cultures does it encompass
for you? Are you looking for Arabic-language cookbooks? Or in other
languages?

>Hungary

No SCA-period cookbooks. There are some recipes identified as
Hungarian in Marx Rumpolt's German language cookbook
http://clem.mscd.edu/~grasse/GK_Rumpolt1.htm

>Iceland

There's a cookbook in Icelandic, but the recipes are from elsewhere in Europe.

>Morocco

If you want historical recipes, there appear to be none. There are
several cookbooks from al-Andalus, that is the Iberian peninsula
under Muslim rule.

>Scotland

No SCA-period cookbooks. There may be some archaeological information.

There are also surviving cookbooks in:

* Dutch
http://www.coquinaria.nl/kooktekst/index.htm
Ms. UB Gent 1035 - Good & Noble Food
Ms. KANTL Gent 15

* Portuguese
Um tratado da cozinha portuguesa do seculo XV: Colecao de receitas,
algumas bastante originais, para o preparo das mais variadas iguarias
A Treatise of Portuguese Cuisine from the 15th Century: Collection of
recipes, some very original, for the preparation of most varied
delicacies
http://www.sca.org.au/cooks/Pages/articles/Faerisa/portuguese15thC.html

* Romanian
This is early 17th C., but it's all we have in Romanian
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Romanian-ckbk-art.html

* Russian
The Domostroi : rules for Russian households in the time of Ivan the Terrible
edited and translated by Carolyn Johnston Pouncy.
Ithaca, NY : Cornell University Press, 1994.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita

My LibraryThing