[Sca-cooks] Vegetables and are you all still there?

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon May 12 12:48:30 PDT 2008

--On Monday, May 12, 2008 2:39 PM -0500 "Mike C. Baker"
<kihebard at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Quick version, as I last made it:  Parboil the peeled and already-sliced
> turnips.  Drain; taste-test -- if still bitter/strong, parboil a second
> time -- AND check the texture:  really should not be quite to the
> ready-to-mash stage.  Layer turnip slices into deep baking dish /
> casserole with cheese and any spices being added.  Due to personal
> preferences, I usually use slices of a MEDIUM cheddar *and* a white
> cheese; last time I made this the second cheese was Monterrey Jack (but
> I've had good reviews using mozzarella, too). Prepare enough broth /
> bouillon to cover the layered turnip slices and cheese and pour the
> liquid into the dish while it is still very hot (not boiling, but
> close).  Bake in oven at 325F until cheese melted.  Optionally, put
> under broiler long enough to slightly brown the cheese.  Serve while
> still warm enough for the cheese to "ooze".  Cook's prerogative to drink
> the remaining broth from the baking dish!
>
> Alternative to broth may be butter, or ghee.

I've never made it, but I've eaten it several times. My take on it is that
you can't skimp on the cheese/butter/spices. The more butter and
sugar/spice the better (although I supposed it would be possible to make it
too sweet).  When people say "yuck" tends to be when someone skimped on
something that wasn't turnips.

toodles, margaret