[Sca-cooks] Abbasid Qataif (spiced nut filled pastries)

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 13:33:37 PDT 2008

Wonderful! I was in Palestine andJordan last week and bought two kilo
of "small cut", cakes and pastries. From Zalatimo Brothers, the best
baker in the Middle East. They export to the US and to Europe.
I ate in their place knaf, my favorite pastry, filled with
sheepcheese. They told me it was almost impossible to make knaf
outside the Middle East since the special sheepcheese is not made in
other parts of the world. I know people tried with mozarella and
mascarpone.
Have any of you tried to make knaf?
Ana, missing the flavours and the smells of the Middle East!

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Lilinah <lilinah at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Abbasid Qataif
>
> Original Recipe
> (13th C. anonymous Andalusian cookbook)
>
> It is made from the pierced musahhada that has already been mentioned. Take
> peeled almonds, pound them and let them dry until they are like semolina.
> Add as much again of sugar, spikenard, cloves, and Chinese cinnamon. Then
> take a flat bread (raghif) of the aforementioned musahhada, free of burns,
> and sprinkle it with those almonds and ground sugar aplenty. Sprinkle it
> with rosewater in which some camphor is dissolved, and fold it until it is a
> half circle. Glue the edges with dough wetted in rosewater, and put it in a
> frying-pan full of fresh oil. Boil it, and then take it out immediately and
> remove it so it drains of the oil. Let it float in a syrup of roses or julep
> or skimmed honey. You might make raghifs on raghifs, filled inside, and glue
> the margins together, and they will turn out circles and halves. [note]
>
> [note] Huici Miranda's derivation of qataif from a verb meaning to sift
> flour is wrong. "Qataif" is simply the plural of the noun meaning "plush,
> velvet"; the texture is more fabric-like than bread. This basic recipe -
> crepes (the crepes themselves were called "mushahhada" in al-Andalus) folded
> over around a filling and deep fried - is what the word "qataif" still means
> in Lebanon and Syria. The "qataif" can be removed from the cooking oil
> immediately, because the crepe ("flat bread") is already cooked. The last
> sentence suggests instead of folding over one mushahhada you could glue two
> together and make a fully round, rather than a half-round, version, so that
> you can serve both circles and half-circles. (Charles Perry)
>
> ---
>
> My Version
> Made about 55 - that were how many wonton wrapper were in my package
>
> Filling:
> 1 cup Blanched Almonds
> 1 cup Granulated White Sugar
> 1/4 to 1/3 tsp. Powdered Cloves
> 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. Powdered Cinnamon
> 1 tsp. Rosewater (Lebanese)
>
> 1 pkg. circular Wonton Wrappers
> Mild Vegetable Oil for frying
> --- i mixed safflower and sunflower oils
>
> Syrup:
> 1/4 c. Honey
> 1/2 c. Water
> 1 tsp. Lemon juice
>
> Prepare Filling:
> Grind almonds with sugar in the food processor to a somewhat rough stage
> Then mix in cloves, cinnamon, and rosewater by hand.
> I skipped the spikenard, since people seem to find its flavor odd.
> I skipped the camphor because it is a potential health hazard.
>
> Assemble:
> Fill a small bowl with plain water and set it next to the work space.
> On a baking sheet with low sides, lay out several wonton wrappers.
> Put a small amount of spiced ground nuts on one half.
> With a finger dipped in the bowl of water, moisten half the edge of the
> [...]

http://www.ekopolitan.com Grön sajt/Green

http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci