[Sca-cooks] Knaf was e: Abbasid Qataif (spiced nut filled pastries)

Ana Valdés agora158 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 14:19:53 PDT 2008

Do anyone have a recipe for knaf?
Ana

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Susan Fox <selene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Ana Valdés wrote:
>>
>> Wonderful! I was in Palestine andJordan last week and bought two kilo
>> of "small cut", cakes and pastries. From Zalatimo Brothers, the best
>> baker in the Middle East. They export to the US and to Europe.
>> I ate in their place knaf, my favorite pastry, filled with
>> sheepcheese. They told me it was almost impossible to make knaf
>> outside the Middle East since the special sheepcheese is not made in
>> other parts of the world. I know people tried with mozarella and
>> mascarpone.
>> Have any of you tried to make knaf?
>> Ana, missing the flavours and the smells of the Middle East!
>>

> I did not know the Arabic name for this, only the Greek "tyropita".  I have
> no trouble finding sheep's milk cheese in the Los Angeles area, in the
> Middle Eastern stores in particular.  I would try this with rinsed sheep's
> milk feta, unless I was really in the mood for a lot of salt [which happens
> in the hot summers here].
>
> Bon appetit!
> Selene

http://www.ekopolitan.com Grön sajt/Green

http://caravia.stumbleupon.com
http://www.crusading.se
Gondolgatan 2 l tr
12832 Skarpnäck
Sweden
tel +468-943288
mobil 4670-3213370

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci