[Sca-cooks] measurement Was:Re: Sign of the Timesperhaps--Dinner at Crown - cancelled

S CLEMENGER sclemenger at msn.com
Mon May 26 17:05:56 PDT 2008

I could also point out that switching to metric would make unholy hash out
of a lot of land measurements, at least here in the American west, where a
lot of property is measured out in square miles, and acres (as a percentage
of a square mile).
Besides, maybe we like it this way, eh? Just because everyone else is doing
something doesn't mean I, or we, have to follow along....
--Maire, who deals with both metric and "normal" <grin> measurements, but
generally they're pretty segregated....Yarn, for instance, comes in grams
(50 grams, 100 grams), but I think of it in terms of grams OR yards, and
rarely, meters.  Knitting needles, though, are measured metrically (for
diameter) AND imperially (length), and our labeling system for them is
different that Canada's, which is different than other countries, etc.....
OFC--my kitchen scale just does pounds and ounces, and yes, it's irritating.