[Sca-cooks] Substitutions... how do we know?

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Mon May 26 17:15:55 PDT 2008

> Below is an SCA-period recipe, translated into modern
> English, with the title removed and broken into steps (all I
> did was remove words like "and" and "then").
>
> The original notes two substitutions - which I've removed.
> Please suggest what would be appropriate substitutions. After
> a few days I'll reveal what the cookbook actually said.
>
> I'm curious to see if people actually get close. I can
> honestly say that I probably wouldn't have thought of at
> least one of the items, and probably not the other, either.
>
> If you recognize the recipe, please DO NOT cheat and post the
> correct answer, but sit on your hands and let someone else
> take the risk. And please do not cross-post - I'm sending
> this to 4 lists, and I'd like to have listees on each list
> come up with their own suggestions...
>
> ----- The Recipe -----
>
> Fry the chicken with lard and with onions.
> Chop unpeeled almonds and temper them with sour and sweet
> pomegranate juice and strain them well.
> Mix a little water with sugar and spices.
> Put this to boil for a little with the said chicken, and mix
> well with a wooden spoon, and put mixed spices above.
> If you don't have almonds [substitute]
> If you don't have pomegranate [substitute]
>
> ----------------------------
>
> Thanks for playing :-)
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita
>
> My LibraryThing
> http://www.librarything.com/catalog/lilinah

Note that I have done very limited redaction previously, but I have been
watching the proceedings for some time.  Answers I give are NOT intended
to be directly linked to the original, but are based on my perceptions &
curiousities & little experiences.

What I would experiment with myself (pre-1600):
Hazelnuts for Almonds; *possibly* walnuts, but in reduced volume?
Verjuice and cider for the two Pomegranate juices; alternatively vinegar
and wine

What I would experiment with myself (modern / current)
Macadamia nuts or Brazil nuts or papershell Pecans or cashews or any of
several other nuts, including peanuts, for Almonds (they keep telling me
I'm a bit on the nutty side...)
Balsamic vinegar and grape juice for the Pomegranate (likely 1:3 ratio
plus two parts water to make up volume?); second choice modern
unsweetened cranberry and a good blueberry

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe
Kitchen Idiot, Cathedral of the Cheesey Salamander

Mike C. Baker
Opinions? I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen