[Sca-cooks] Substitutions... how do we know?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Tue May 27 07:00:39 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
----- The Recipe -----

Fry the chicken with lard and with onions.
Chop unpeeled almonds and temper them with sour and sweet pomegranate
juice and strain them well.
Mix a little water with sugar and spices.
Put this to boil for a little with the said chicken, and mix well
with a wooden spoon, and put mixed spices above.
If you don't have almonds [substitute]
If you don't have pomegranate [substitute]

Thanks for playing :-) > > > > > > >

almonds, substitute breadcrumb
pomegranate, substitute must and verjus

For me, this really does depend on the time and place of the recipe.  It
seems to be one of the variations of a dish in Neapolitan, as well as middle
eastern texts.  Hard to say my ideas have any historical value just blind
without some sort of context.

niccolo difrancesco