[Sca-cooks] Coronation of Lutr and Tessa

rattkitten rattkitten at bellsouth.net
Tue May 27 19:33:18 PDT 2008

I thought someone might get a bang out of this... this was emailed out
to alot of Atlantian email lists...

This is NOT MY WORK!!!!!!!!!  It belongs to Lord Jonathan Blackbow.
Nichola

So there's a poetry competition in Windmaster's Hill's next event, and
the theme is:

Poetry contest!
Baron James of Middle Aston, Poetia Atlantia, is sponsoring a poetry
contest. The virtues highlighted at the Pas are Chivalry, Prowess,
Countenance, and Magnificence. Create verse that encompasses and extols
one or more of these virtues. Instill courage in the hearts of fighters
or honor those who idealize these virtues. Documentation is encouraged.

I didn't have an entry. I have to be inspired to write.

Then I watched the youtube video of Duke Dag at Lutr's Crown victory and
the rest was easy.

Casey Hits it Out of the Park
(a poem in honor of Duke Dag, King Lutr,
and the Adversity that made their Light
Shine that much more Brightly
In a Darkened World)

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the Middle King that day
Tess's elbow, broke; they'd done their best, but mail was delayed
and the BoD, they did their usual thing, t's dotted and i's crossed;
said "Lutr, buddy, the rules is the rules, so face it, bud, you've lost."

Now Lutr's a right standup guy, and took it with good grace
"Let's face it, folks, we screwed the pooch, and now we've got to face
the facts that are: our reign's been shot, and now we've got to fix
the mess that's left, and then go back to hitting each other with sticks."

But the last guy that screwed the pooch, you say, I can't remember his name
got banned from fighting Crown for years for doing just the same
So the Middle was in a mess, no doubt, names called and fingers pointing
to champion their special cause: the King of next anointing.

So about this time - we'll never know why - the BoD saw what they'd caused
a simple rule, so easy to fix, and yet they never paused
to think "hey, maybe we should change this rule before it causes grief
and pain and angst and angry words and problems past belief."

We're sure they did their best by us, the members of their club
We're sure this rule will soon be fixed, before the next king's dubbed
But meantime the thought that comes back down is "Palymar's the judge
of fixing this as best he can, to clear away the sludge."

At least four times did Lutr fight that day to win his Crown
But one stands forth; the last he fought, 'gainst a man of great renown
Duke Dag did strive in that last of rounds for many a mighty blow
But all for naught, or so it seemed, since Lutr laid him low

Then Dag arose, and said the words that some of you have heard
he spoke of oaths, and kings, and law, and keeping of one's word
"the law's been met, I'll fight no more," and he said it with such force,
the roar of approval from the crowd meant the deed was done, of course.

And Lutr and Tessa were crowned again, and many hearts were glad,
And while were sure that some hearts weren't; know what? that's just too
bad.
So, Lutr and Tessa are King and Queen, and great! But my words mark:
The best of men that day? Was Dag. He hit it clear out of the park.