[Sca-cooks] Substitutions...how do we know?

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Wed May 28 12:33:50 PDT 2008

In a message dated 5/26/2008 6:24:39 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org writes:

> ----- The Recipe -----
>
> Fry the chicken with lard and with onions.
> Chop unpeeled almonds and temper them with sour and sweet pomegranate
> juice and strain them well.
> Mix a little water with sugar and spices.
> Put this to boil for a little with the said chicken, and mix well
> with a wooden spoon, and put mixed spices above.
> If you don't have almonds [substitute]
> If you don't have pomegranate [substitute]
>
> ----------------------------
>
> Thanks for playing :-)
> --
> Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
> the persona formerly known as Anahita

Is this still open for play?  (I've still got a ton of messages to read.)
Sounds Spanish or Mediterranean, maybe.  Although, most of the time I see
blanched almonds and this specifies unpeeled.

I'd guess...

Almonds = pine nuts?
Pomegranite = both sweet and sour orange juices (since the original says sour
& sweet pomegranate)?

Constanza Marina de Huelva   </HTML>