[Sca-cooks] Italian sumptuary laws / turkey 1559

emilio szabo emilio_szabo at yahoo.it
Wed May 28 12:43:10 PDT 2008

> Cool. There is a book that goes into the turkey in Italy.
> It's by Sabine Eiche. In English the title is Presenting the Turkey.
> Really good selection of artwork, inc. pottery and paintings.
>
> http://members.shaw.ca/seiche/pubs.html
>
> Johnna

Thanks much! The author, Sabine Eiche writes on her site, that she might

come up with an interesting cookbook:

" ... I have spent years reading the Della Rovere’s personal
correspondence to learn as much as possible about the private life and
character of each duke and his family members. An insider’s view, I
decided, was essential for understanding their ambitions and
intentions, and for evaluating their achievements. Occasionally the
letters lured me down unexpected byways—as happened with the turkey,
"stranger than anything an artist could ever imagine drawing." That
excursion resulted in an article and a book on the arrival and fate of
the New World turkey in Europe.
The letters also sparked an interest in food history. The Della
Rovere never tired of discussing their health and diet, and the regular
references to gifts of food—figs, cheeses, and exceptionally good
fruits and vegetables—reminded me of the extent to which their lives
were synchronized with the cycles of the year, resulting in a natural
harmony that we, in modern times, have sacrificed for convenience. The
lessons learned from their letters will form the basis of a future
cookbook."

BTW, there is another 1100 page volume on sumptuary laws. While the first one I sent is

about the region Emilia Romagna, this one is about Umbria.

http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/DGA-free/Fonti/Fonti_XLIII.pdf

There is a glossary (with food entries like torta, sfogliato) and references

to the sources.

Emilio