[Sca-cooks] Substitutions... how do we know?

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Sat May 31 07:30:22 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
> My thoughts:
>
> 1.) Almonds: Given that egg yolks are the substitute for almonds, i
> think in this case one is not making almond milk, but rather the
> ground almonds go into the dish. I note, speaking off the top of my
> head, that i've also seen some recipes use mashed/sieved hard-cooked
> egg yolks as a thickener, but i can't guarantee they were Italian or
> Arabic.

Suey wrote:

Spanish recipes use raw yolks and also hard boiled. Thank you for
including me in answering correctly the answer but think the answer
rather rigorous in that the only thickener can be eggs. During Lent that
was prohibited in the Middle Ages. > > > > > > > >

<<SNIP>>
I maintain that I think that
if the English had to adapt recipe they would have used  a fruit juice.
Total I find almost all the answers won.. Reviewing that last
competition running around trying to find ingredients and then they were
stolen or whatever, I think those poor people would have honored my
opinion as far as thickeners and juices are concerned. Lilinaha, I think
we all won cause all gave good answers. > > > > > >

My experience with English corpus is that they made all sorts of decisions
on variations . . .for apparently all sorts of reasons.  The fruit juices I
have strong recollections for are verjus and must???  That was my guess,
anyway . . . but alas.

I for one don't think I won this one because I never saw that herb broth
thing coming our of the blue.  Talk abuot regional variations :o)  I was
asked to guess the variants in the recipe, and missed the broth target.
Heck! I said breadcrumb instead of yolk . . . a two-time loser :o(

niccolo difrancesco
(thinking that breadcrumb and egg yolk together would be a good thickener
for this)