[Sca-cooks] Coffin Construction (Pastry!)

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Thu May 1 13:26:49 PDT 2008

>  Alys K.>  Seems to me we put the mold in the center of a mass of dough and then, with our hands, pushed the dough upwards to the top of the mold.  I think we rolled out the "lid", wetted it with water, and then sealed it to the outer part of the dough coffyn after the contents had been added.  (We didn't have time for real food in the coffyn so I suggested u
>   sing a wadded up towel, which we did!)  The coffyn was moderately thick since it didn't have to be edible.

Hmmm, forming it on the outside of a mold had not occurred to me, an
interesting idea. So do you form it on the mold and then let it dry
for awhile before you remove the mold?

I had been assuming that this would not be a edible container from the
get go. That is where my head is at. I like the idea of spring form
pans, but they are pretty darn expensive and I don't know if I can
swing enough for a full feast.

For logistics and $$'s sake, what do people think about using the
recipe but cooking it in an tightly sealed pan. Would it change the
flavor much. Would it completely destroy the "Periodness" of the dish?

I am pretty desperate for a chicken dish that I can do affordabaly and
that doesn't involve citrus or pork in any way.

Again, thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I am hoping to make it
to my local restaurant supply store later today or tomorrow, I might
see if they have something that will work for a reasonable amount of
money. I know that one of them carries the deep dish style pizza pans
- but unpanning the things might get really messy.

Gratzie!

--
Serena da Riva