[Sca-cooks] Ok berry question here...

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu May 1 15:26:59 PDT 2008

--On Thursday, May 01, 2008 6:13 PM -0400 rattkitten
<rattkitten at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> So anyways... Those little strawberry looking plants that look like
> strawberries but I have always been told that they aren't.  What are
> they and are they edible or not?  cause if they are I will cultivate
> them (oooh big word for the day) if not I will eradicate them... (Bigger
> word for the day... Ok that was my budget for the week.)
> So anyways looking forward to hearing about these.  And NO I am NOT
> Eating them I will wait until folks respond since I am still running
> with the whole poisonous thing....

You mean the ones that grow anywhere it's wet down south, and that have
fruit that looks exactly like a strawberry only smaller (about the size of
your little fingernail or so)?  We always called those "wild strawberries"
and ate them whenever we could get them (used to have a patch that grew
over the septic tank when I was little -- those ones were particularly
yummy). No ill effects noted (unless you want to attribute personality
flaws to early consumption of wild strawberries :-))

toodles, margaret