[Sca-cooks] Old French Ailliee

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Thu May 1 17:35:56 PDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 4:23 PM, emilio szabo wrote:

> Godefroy, in his 'Dictionnaire de l'ancienne langue francaise et de
> tous ses
>
> dialectes du IXe au XVe siècles' writes about "Ailliee":
>
> "Cette sauce était d'un usage si général que dans le treizième
> siècle, des
>
> marchands la criaient dans les rues comme on le fait encore de nos
> jours
>
> pour la moutarde."
>
> The whole article is here:
>
> http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k50634z/f192.table

You're right (about checking the link). In my defense, I had been led
to believe that the link was to an article in French, which, in its
conversational version, I'm not real fluent in. Recipes I'm pretty
good with. Be that as it may, I didn't realize the link was to a
dictionary page, but yes, it does provide a basic description with
ingredients. As does, I believe, Opusculum de Saporibus (which, IIRC,
is roughly contemporary to the Enseignements, fairly early by medieval
cookbook standards).

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter