[Sca-cooks] Translations - re Old French Ailliee or whatver

David Walddon david at vastrepast.com
Thu May 1 21:30:10 PDT 2008

Suey,
For a summary check out http://www.windowslivetranslator.com. It is
still in beta, but does an OK job and it also translates webpages on
the fly. Way cool!
Below is what it did with the French text. Not bad, more than
passable. It might not be up to Medieval or Renaissance French (or
Italian or . . . ), but we should try!

I think it was also confused a bit since part of the message was in
English (writes about) and the rest was in French.

French
Godefroy in his Dictionnaire de l'ancienne langue francaise et de
tous ses dialectes du IXe au XVe siecles" writes about "Ailliee":

Cette sauce etait d'un usage si general que dans le treiziememe
siecle, des marchands la criaient dans les rues comme on le fait
encore de nos jours pour la moutarde.

English
Godefroy in his Dictionary of the old French language and all its
dialects of IXe in XVe centuries " writes butt “Ailliee”:

This sauce was of a use so general that in the treiziememe century,
of the merchants shouted it in the streets like one still nowadays
does it for mustard.

Eduardo

DISCLAIMER - My day job is at MS but NOT in this group.
I get to do good things with Educational entities around the world.
No CODING! No SALES!

Food is life. May the plenty that graces your table truly be a VAST
REPAST.

David Walddon
david at vastrepast.com
www.vastrepast.com