[Sca-cooks] Coffin Construction

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 03:52:23 PDT 2008

I'm not certain that fat was that expensive in period; the big cost in making coffin (inedible) pastes seems to me to be in the flour and the actual time & skill for production.  Mrs. Beeton, of Victorian cookbook fame, provides ratios---1 lb of flour and 1 1/2 oz each of butter and lard---so for 5 lbs of flour you only need one lb of fat.  This kind of pastry is certainly not for everyday, though.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.