[Sca-cooks] Translations - re Old French Ailliee or whatver

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Fri May 2 04:59:47 PDT 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 7:39 AM, Johnna Holloway wrote:

> And in my case I was just supplying a place to find what
> Master A asked for when on 5/1 at 7:33 PM
>
> "Anybody gots a copy of "Opusculum de Saporibus" handy??? I could have
> sworn I had a pdf, but it looks like I may have to go ransacking
>
> through the stacks of smudgy photocopies..."
>
> Adamantius
>
> This version that Thomas provides is online and available.

Warning: you better be able to read Latin.

> Many of us probably have paper copies of "A Mediaeval Sauce-Book" by
> Lynn Thorndike
> Speculum, Vol. 9, No. 2 (Apr., 1934), pp. 183-190. That version is on
> JSTOR now.

Yes, that's what I've got. It includes a copy of the text and, I
think, the chapter from de Villanova's Regimen Sanitatis on sauces for
tempering health issues connected to diet, believed by many to be
essentially the same text. No translation, but an odd discussion that
resembles a sportscaster's play-by-play.
"And then he says..."

But it's nice to have the Latin text available, at least.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter