[Sca-cooks] countess construction (was coffin construction)

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri May 2 08:28:40 PDT 2008

> Dear, if you win Crown again, I'm sure someone will make you any dish
> you like. Would bay laurel go well with strawberries though? I think of
> it as a savory...
>
> 'Lainie

I think the pie could be kind of nasty. But it would be funny.
Since I'm getting my Laurel over Memorial Day weekend and
I've placed 2nd in the last 5 Crowns I've been joking I want to
make 2008 the "Year of the Leaves".

The pie would be a combination of Laurel, Duchy and
"When Pigs Fly".

As to cooking content. Strawberries could be used in a savory
dish much as any other fruit. Period Strawberry Sauce isn't
particularly sweet.

If such a pie were to be made I would think there would be
chunks of pork and probably boneless chicken wings (wings
with the bones would be good but difficult to eat) with
a couple of laurel leaves for flavoring and strawberry
chunked in to add sweetness. Salt, pepper, cubebs, ginger,
a bit of cinnamon and white wine slurry.

Pie served with leaves of dough in strawberry & laurel designs
strewn with fresh sliced strawberries and laurel leaves.

Hmmm....it might work.

After reading the list discussion on pie doughs and watching the
tudorcook blogs I'm really in the mood to try to make period
chewett shapes and a raised custard tart.

I'm thinking pork pies and venison....

Thanks for the offers. I'm just joking!

Gunthar