[Sca-cooks] Translations

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri May 2 13:18:05 PDT 2008

Beth Ann Bretter wrote:
>> I have never heard of Godefroy but I have tried Babelfish
>> and it is a
>> joke!
>>

> Babelfish worked well enough for me that I could get the gist of the post.  It missed "treiziememe century" but I got enough to know that merchants were yelling about this sauce like they do "modern" mustard.
>
> Peyton
I agree with you.  But maybe we English speakers are used to other folks
mangling our admittedly quirky mongrel language, and don't get quite so
worked up about Perfect Translations.  As long as we "get the gist"
we're fine, for the most part.  It's going to be a long day and a night
before they come up with an English-to-French computerized translation
system that will make the latter happy.  As bilingual comedian Eddie
Izzard says, "I like the French, but they can be so French!"

Fond regards,
Selene