[Sca-cooks] Cookie Recipe Time-- Skillet Cookies

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Fri May 2 13:54:08 PDT 2008

Daniel & Elizabeth Phelps wrote:
> Is there any reason this recipe wouldn't work in a nonstick skillet? Our big
> frying pan is nonstick, but we have a big steel saute pan that would work, I
> guess.

We used to always use an electric skillet. Maybe 12 inches square. Maybe
larger.
 (Remember those?)  I don't see any reason why you can't use non-stick.
I do.
> And I take it ground pecans can also be very finely chopped pecans? We could
> probably grind them in the blender, but at the moment we do not have a stand
> mixer or a food processor, so everything gets done by hand, which usually
> works just fine.

We used one of those small nut grinders and did them by hand. Don't
reduce them to a powder. English walnuts would be an option maybe.
Never did them with peanuts. Has to be a nut that goes with the dates. I
suppose ground almonds would work We never tried those,
but almonds are more common these days.

This was a two person operation. Good to make with older children. It
involved a lot of bowls, especially if we were making
3 different kinds--- dipping them in powdered sugar or ground nuts or
coconut. Also we always ground the nuts at the last minute
so that took a person doing that.

It was one of those recipes that we only made at Christmastime too.
Maybe that was when dates were on sale.
> I'll post my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe later, got kids to
> wrangle now. Thanks!
> Cheers,
> Isabella

Hope this helps