[Sca-cooks] Roses to grow and cook with

chawkswrth at aol.com chawkswrth at aol.com
Sat May 3 21:11:47 PDT 2008

Eduardo;

The Apothecary Rose will grow just about everywhere. It is a red that blooms in the Spring, with a double layer of petals. They smell heavenly!
They were and still are used for an amazing number of rose products, from rose hips to rose beads.
It is a rose that is almost older then time. I have two in my flower?beds right now. I live just outside of Birmingham, Alabama. You may think that South is dry, right? Think not...humidity is a live thing, here.
Roses are hardier then you think. Hybrids are the ones that are so...picky, as to their growing conditions.
Gallicas have been the same since they came from the Far East/India. They have journeyed far and long, though the Middle East, the Mediterranean and on into the British isles and beyond.
Roses are addictive. Trust me.
Your biggest problem will be controling Humidity-born diseases. Black Spot and Powderly Mildew are the two biggies here. Check with your local Organic Gardening Groups to find out about organic controls (and let me know-I am always willing to listen to something that doesn't involve poisons)

BTW-there are a large number of Period Edible Flowers.? Roses, marigold, pansy and violets are what floats to the top of my very tired brain at the moment. Again, check with your local Organic Gardening Group. They will know what works best for your climate.

Good Luck!

Helen
Down to a dozen rose plants...dang knees....