[Sca-cooks] Coffin Construction

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon May 5 19:51:57 PDT 2008

Vittoria thoughtfully provide this great information for us!
>  Saffron -- 87 references
>  Pepper -- 40
>  Cinnamon -- 7
>  Cloves -- 6
>  Coriander -- 5
>  Cumin -- 5
>  Ginger (dried) -- 4
>  Anise -- 3
>  Mustard --3
>  Nutmeg -- 2
>  Fennel seeds -- 2
>  Ginger (fresh) -- 1

>  The most unique ingredient in the recipe you're looking at, though, is the
>  green grape (sour/unripe grapes, not green eating grapes) -- I'd also say
>  the most important, since it will be one of the more assertive flavors in
>  the dish.  I don't know whether you will be able to find them this early in
>  the year -- when is the feast?  They are hard to come by unless you know
>  someone with a grapevine in the backyard. :-)

I had already done a redaction, but upon seeing your post I did it all
over again. I looked for the Sour Grape juice that someone suggested
but could not find it. I really cannot go the lemon route because my
pork dish is cooked in OJ and I do not want to have two citrus-y meats
(there are some citrus allergies in our area). So I kept the regular
old green grapes that I was working with in the mix for their texture
and added some white wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar to add some
sweet/sour flavor.

I must say it came out lovely, and much better than my last attempt. I
decided to eliminate the coffin altogether and cooked it in a pan
tightly covered with Aluminum foil - I am guessing it had pretty much
the same effect. If I had more time (the feast is 6 days away) I would
love to try it with the coffin and see how things differ - but c'est
la vie!

Thank you so much for your input - it made my dish much better tasting
and closer to period.

Ciao!

--
Serena da Riva