[Sca-cooks] What to do with this meat

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius1 at verizon.net
Tue May 6 15:21:54 PDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 5:08 PM, Gwen Barclay wrote:

> I feel sure that this general cut of meat was used in period time
> because it is a way of utilizing every ounce of meat, which was
> precious...just like making sausage or stew.

Definitely. FWIW, I believe there's a note in The Forme of Cury to the
effect that the loin of the pig runs from the hip to the head, or
something like that -- everything north of the ham. The point being
that if there's butcher's terminology for that area, presumably they
were selling it and someone was eating it.

Adamantius

bellies."
			-- Rabbi Israel Salanter