[Sca-cooks] Need Advice on cookbooks

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Fri May 9 10:15:01 PDT 2008

Morvran asked:
<<< Okay I am doing a sauce project and I need to find cookbooks and
I am not having any luck.? I just might not know where to look, heck
it makes me feel stupid not being able to find these on my own, but
when I have a resouce as good and powerful as you all, why go it alone.

I need the following Countrys in period of 600-1600.? Can you hellp
me?????? >>>

For each of these, you might want to look through the FOOD-BY-REGION
section of the Florilegium, if you haven't, and see what is
recommended there.

I tend to file the recipes in the Florilegium by type of food rather
than area though, so you might want to browse through these files in
the FOOD-CONDIMENTS section:
camelne-sauce-msg (26K)  8/22/04    Sauces w. cinnamon as a major
component.
garum-msg         (78K)  2/24/08    Roman fish sauces made from
fermented fish.
                                        Also includes comments on
liquamen.
murri-msg         (44K)  2/14/08    Rotted barley paste condiment of
Arabia.
Mustard-art        (5K)  9/14/00    "Mustard" by Ld. Daniel le Vascon
du Navarre
Mustard-Making-art (36K) 12/ 7/03    "Making Medieval-Style Mustards"
by Pani
                                        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa.
mustard-msg      (154K)  2/13/08    Mustard seed in period. sauces.
recipes.
sauces-msg       (172K)  2/14/08    Period sauces. Sauce recipes.
spreads-msg       (18K)  4/ 2/08    Period spreads for bread. recipes.

Here are some others that come to mind, in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section:
<<<Irish
Celtic
German >>>

Eberhard-art      (91K)  6/29/05    A 15th century German recipe
collection
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.
Inntal-art        (32K)  6/29/05    An early 16th century recipe
collection from
                                        Bavaria translated by Giano
Balestriere.
Konigsberg-art    (28K)  6/29/05    A 15th century cookbook from East
Prussia
                                        translated by Giano Balestriere.

<<< Danish
Polish
Greek
Spanish >>>

Fadalat-art       (58K) 12/ 4/07    "Culinary Abundance With Recipes
with
                                        Medieval Variations".
Translation
                                        by Susan Lord-Williams.
Guisados1-art    (220K)  5/28/01    A translation of Ruperto de Nola's
                                        1529 "Libre del Coch", part 1
of 2
                                        by Lady Brighid ni Chiarain.
Guisados2-art    (116K)  5/28/01    "Libre del Coch". part 2 of 2.
                                        Lenten recipes.

<<< Middle eastern
Hungary >>>

I don't know. How close is Romanian cooking to Hungarian?

Romanian-ckbk-art (112K)  1/25/04    "A Translation of a 17th Century
Romanian
                                        Cookbook" by Lord Petru cel
paros Voda.

<<< There is my list the others I am usuing I already have.>>>

Then some of these may be duplicates, but I don't know. Is this for a
specific project? Or are you trying to build up your personal
collection of medieval cookbooks?

If the latter, I would recommend looking through the recommendations
and reviews in the FOOD-BOOKS section. The following is a good,
annotated bibliography:

cookbooks-bib     (44K)  2/15/04    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle
of Armida.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas