[Sca-cooks] Pellydore?

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Wed May 14 22:46:40 PDT 2008

Been reading this thread with interest and finally started pulling books
off the shelf.
Normally I wouldn't use either Pegge or Warner these days when doing work
with the Forme of Cury. But in this case I own both of the 18th century
editions,
so I decided to start there and hunt clues.
One thing that I find helpful to locate additional recipes with the same
ingredient being mentioned
and the same type of recipe.

If you go back to what it says in
Pegge-- [3] Pellydore. Perhaps _pellitory_. _Peletour_, 104.

that 104 means recipe 104 which is the Congur in sawse or fawfe with the
long "s".
Peggs gives the ingredient in recipe 104 as "peleter";
Warner in his version gives it as "peletes (pellitory)" in the list of
herbs being mentioned in recipe 104.

So turning to the more authoritative Curye on Inglysch, turn to page 102
and the Drepe recipe which is numbered 21 in this edition
and not 19 as in Warner and Pegge.
One does indeed find it footnoted as "pellydore] pouder CJWP" as noted
already by Etain in his posting.

Ok this "pellydore] pouder CJWP" means as I interpret it that when this
word appears in 4 of the mss versions,
namely CJWP it appears as "pouder". All of the various mss versions of
the FoC vary to some extent
and here Hieatt and Butler have noted a textual variation.

To continue--
Looking at the recipe for Congur in sawse which is recipe 107 in Curye
on Inglysch, the ingredient
in question is given as "peletur". Powdour fort is actually specified
later in this recipe so, this ingredient can't be
powdour forte unless it's copied twice in two lines.

The clincher is of course that in the index and glossary to Curye on
Inglysch, there appears this
entry:

peletre/peletur n. pellitory, herb with a hot, pungent root; the Spanish
variety was most highly esteemed.
IV 107, 148 pellydore IV 21

The IV reference is to the Forme of Cury and 148 refers to recipe 148
which is Vertesaus broun recipe
which calls for: "& a litel peletre, &mynte..." So in fact we end up
with at least 3 recipes that mention it.

If you are using Hieatt & Butler's Curye on Inglysch to start with, the
information is at hand.

Now of course "Drepee" in itself is rather interesting. It comes into
play as a term in Shipley's Dictionary of Early English
which was published in 1955 and it's mentioned in the JSTOR review of
that book.

And according to our Concordance of English Recipes Thirteenth to
Fifteenth Centuries (by Hieatt, Nutter, and yours
truly.) there are recipes for a Drepee in the Arundel 334. It's also
related to the Chykons in Dropeye that is in
the Harl. 279.

Hope this explains the question.

Johnnae

Pat Griffin wrote:
> >From Samuel Pegge’s “Forme of Cury”
> DREPEE [1]. XIX.
>
> Take blanched Almandes grynde hem and temper hem up with gode broth
> take Oynouns a grete quantite parboyle hem and frye hem and do þerto.
> take smale bryddes [2] parboyle hem and do þerto Pellydore [3] and
> salt. and a lytel grece.
>
>  [1] Drepee. Qu. [2] bryddes. Birds. _Per metathesin; v. R. in Indice_.
> [3] Pellydore. Perhaps _pellitory_. _Peletour_, 104.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what Pellydore or pellitory or Peletour mean?

Cindy Sorenson wrote:

Medieval Cookery - A Dictionary of Middle-English Cooking Te...
pellydore - Pellitory (Anacyclus
pyrethrum). An herb with a hot, spicy flavor. Also called Spanish
Chamomile and Mount Atlas daisy. Pellitory ...
www.medievalcookery.com/dictionary/dict_p.shtm

>  Pellitory is a pungent herb.  I have not tried it.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacyclus_pyrethrum>
>
> Selene
My money's also on Pellitory. Adamantius