[Sca-cooks] Midrealm News regarding royalty OT OP

Mike C. Baker kihebard at hotmail.com
Sun May 18 11:47:55 PDT 2008

> I'm not a citizen of the Middle, so this really isn't my
> fight.  But it does concern me because it illustrates the
> inflexibility and lack of reason that our governing body
> seems to possess.
>
> Kiri

Good lady, I posit that it IS *our* fight, every one of us who is
willing to raise a voice against inanity.  (But with recognition that
rules are rules, there *is* a resolution in sight, and that the
directly-involved parties -- Lutr & Tessa, the Midrealm Great Officers,
Palymar the Regent, and the SCA Inc. Board of Directors -- have agreed
to that resolution, etc.)

To quote something I, an Ansteorran, sent to an Aethelmearc message
list:

Michael (et al.), I've been watching this off and on since the news
"broke" on the Middlebridge earlier.  The later developments seem to
indicate that there will have to be at least one "active" opponent
during the Ad Hoc Midrealm Crown to be fought at 10AM on Saturday next
(May 24) or, under Corpora, the results could be once again invalidated
(cf. the clause regarding the expectation for a "contested" Crown
Tourney).

What this is *really* beginning to remind me of is standing witness when
the original imposition of the NMS was declared back in '94 or so -- and
watching the artfully presented declarations by Duke Inman in court at
Steppes Warlord, here in Ansteorra, following (leading up to?) the
Estrella Compact.

One solid part of that memory should still be stored carefully against
need, one place or another, in the nature of new words for old songs,
and this new development might even trigger a whole new round of verses.

(VERY rough first draft, two "new" verses to old music ["Rising of the
Moon" / "Rising of the Star"] ...
 Still noodling for an appropriate variation to use as a chorus...)
	Ah, the Midrealm folk now tell us they've had an edict from afar
	Their Crown's mail was "misplaced" or "lost", Gus -- We have
heard that tale before.
	The BoD's decree is "Abdicate!", and the Regent's Palymar.
	Do I hear a pounded anvil ringing, underneath a Unique Star...

	We're the folk of all the SCA, from ten thousand different
bands,
	And we know there's rules to keep us safe from over-heavy hands
	But some rules too tight interpreted raise alarm bells here and
thar,
	I'll bet some bards will soon be singing, underneath that Unique
Star...

(Eh, what did you expect from a scratchy-eyed bard with too little sleep
at 3AM?  <VBEG>)

INTERJECTION:  In fairness to the BoD, every indication is that they
*are* working with the Midrealm to address the issues involved, and the
Ad-Hoc / Fill-In Crown Tourney for the Midrealm is one outgrowth of
that.  Reading between the lines, I also note that some other revisions
of policies, practices, and admonitions to Crown Tourney participants
(and potential Consorts) will all emerge from this.  I have never myself
had a membership renewal completely disappear, but apparently there are
some who have had it happen multiple times if sent via USPS mail.  For
any who are busily drafting letters of comment or indignation to be sent
to the Board of Directors of SCA, Inc., I would strongly encourage you
to take into account the whole story (go find the Middlebridge archives,
etc.), your own past experiences with the Office of the Registry, and
the modern alternatives now available.

Adieu, Amra / ttfn - Mike / Pax ... Kihe

Mike C. Baker
SCA: (al-Sayyid) Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra, F.O.B, OSCA
"Other": Reverend Kihe Blackeagle PULC (the DreamSinger Bard) Opinions?
I'm FULL of 'em
alt. e-mail: KiheBard at hotmail.com  OR MikeCBaker at verizon.net
   Buy my writings!:   http://www.lulu.com/WizardsDen
http://wizardsdenblogedition.blogspot.com/