[Sca-cooks] Recipe for OK, this is weird ...

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Mon May 19 18:10:22 PDT 2008

I just googled onion calzones from puglia
and found this
http://www.deliciousitaly.com/ricetta.php?id=154&regione_id=12

Onion Calzone

A well made calzone is a meal in itself and comes as close to a Cornish
pastie as we have found in Italy.

ingredients

For the pasta: 500 gr flour, 50 gr sugar, 100 gr extra virgin olive oil,
150 gr white wine, 1 spoon of fine salt. For the filling: 500gr onions
or leeks, black olives, sultanas, cherry jam.

making it

Mix all the pasta ingredients together and work well until a decent
dough has been formed.

Divide the dough into two parts and with one half form a classic calzone
shape onto which the filling should be placed.

The onions or leeks for the filling should first be lightly fried in
olive oil and salt.

To them 50gr sugar should be added as well as the olives (without the
stones), the sultanas (softened up with warm water) and a spoonful of
jam pasted over the onions.

Then close the calzone with the other half of the pasta or pastry and
seal the edges with egg yolk beaten with sugar.

Cook in the oven at 180° for around 25/30 minutes.

Johnnae