[Sca-cooks] Sign of the Times perhaps --Dinner at Crown - cancelled

Avelyn Grene avelyn at greneboke.com
Thu May 22 21:43:18 PDT 2008

Having very recently worked in a hotel/conference center/catering
facility similar to the one where Crown is being held, I see both sides
of the problem.

Finding an easily accessible site in the Cincinnati area, that can hold
4-600 people, and all of the different activities  we hold for our
Spring Crown (which includes Kingdom A&S) is certainly not an easy task,
and sites that can accommodate this are few and far between, and
generally limited to fairgrounds (which require a whole lot more  work
and planning) and conference centers (at least from what I have seen in
this area).  From an SCAdian point of view, this is one of the easiest
ways to ensure that everything should work out the way you need it to,
as you have basically hired a site to do everything for you.

This does come with drawbacks (food wise):

Catering/Conference side (at least from my limited experience in Ohio):
-Catering centers of this type have preplanned menu options at preset
prices, ranging from about $20-40, for dinners from anything to simple
chicken and veggie buffets, to 4 course served duo shrimp and fillet
dinners.  These are generally for business groups (who get a bulk
discount a lot of the time) or weddings.  We are just strange people
that wear funny clothes and asked for dinner to be included.
-Most catering facilities are unbending in their menus, etc.  Unless you
have an "in" with the facility (work there, are friends with the chef,
what have you), you are unlikely to have any influence on what is
served.  There are many reasons for this, which many of us can come up
with pretty easily.  Unfamiliarity of recipes, food costs, labor costs,
etc.  The food we make is foreign to them and generally more tedious
that the standard dinners they provide.
-The issue of bringing in food.  Facilities do not forbid outside food
just to be annoying.  True, they don't really want to have to deal with
our snack bags and juice boxes, and they would much rather we buy their
food,  but the real reason is that it is usually illegal to bring
outside food in to public serving areas (please note this does not
include private hotel rooms - you can order all the pizza you want).
Food service licenses only cover the food bought or prepared by the
facility.  If the health inspector was to pop his head in and see a
lunch tavern, or a homemade lunch, they would be in a world of trouble
and lose their license.  Unfortunately this extends to snacks and things
as well.  (Please keep in mind these rules may not apply to all states
boards of health)

As far as Doc's suggestion on creating menus for catering facilities to
use:  The likelihood of a randomly picked catering facility actually
allowing such a thing is slim, but this does not mean that it is a
project not worth doing.  There are a number of people who have "ins"
with such facilities, ones which may be willing to quietly bend the
rules and cook the menus, and for those places, it would be awesome to
have a menu ready to hand to them.  Many of the chefs at some of these
places are foodies as well and would love the opportunity to dabble in
something new provided they can do it (the chefs where I worked were
some of the biggest food geeks I've ever met and were/are in constant
support of my research and cooking).  The trick is just finding the
right venue that can get away with bending the rules a bit.

I hope that made sense - I am usually asleep by now...

Avelyn