[Sca-cooks] Bohemian recipes

Volker Bach carlton_bach at yahoo.de
Thu May 29 22:43:09 PDT 2008

There is a 15th century manuscript fragment in the Munich Staatsbilbliothek  that, written in Late Middle High German, purports to provide East European recipes. It's Munich Cgm 349 (a collated codex) and the text was edited in:

Ehlert, Trude: Münchner Kochbuchhandschriften aus dem 15. Jahrhundert, Frankfurt 1999, ISBN 3-403-03364-3

Not much use unless you read German, I'm afraid. Your backup would be checking the translated parts of Marx Rumpoldt - he is late 16th century, but frequently quotes recipes that are purportedly Bohemian or Hungarian or should be served to guests from those countries. There are similar instances in other German sources, but they are much rarer.

Giano