[Sca-cooks] Aioli was RE: Salt fish recipes?-- I.E. SALTED (preserved) fish

Nick Sasso grizly at mindspring.com
Thu May 1 06:13:13 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
>Herring fresh and powdered with ail [ale? garlic sauce?]. Herring of
>Gernemus with verjuice or with mustard. Fresh herring cooked in water
>with hot pepper.

Could "aillie" and "ail" mean aioli?  I've heard that mayonnaise isn't
period, I'm not sure if aioli is, but it could be a precursor.

Ranvaig> > > > > > >

I would tend towards what Master A said about potnetial for a garlic sauce .
. . but would think aioli as we know it would not be plausible.  Aioli is a
daughter sauce from the mother: mayonnaise.  The logic that got the word
used (is garlic in the sauce) sounds like a good lead, but the immulsified
sauce would seem to be a weaker one.

niccolo difrancesco