[Sca-cooks] Ricotta non mascarpone

smcclune at earthlink.net smcclune at earthlink.net
Thu May 1 10:23:35 PDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
>From: Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com>
>
>Because the recipe given is done at a high temperature and an acid is
>used, all of the butter fat and usable protein is extracted from the
>whey and what is left is primarily mineral content.
<<<

Really?  A couple of people have mentioned the fact that acid-coagulated cheese is heated to a higher temperature, but when I make it, I only bring the milk up to 105F, and it still seems to work just fine.

I admit, I've never tried to make ricotta from the whey, but then, it always looks to me as though it wouldn't do much.  It usually ends up being yellowish in color and semi-transparent, so maybe that's a sign that all of the butter fat and usable protein have been extracted, even though I don't use high heat.  If that's the case, then I'd say that the acid is more of a factor than the heat.

Perhaps it's time to experiment with some cheese ... especially since my Beloved Husband got me one of those nifty infrared thermometers like the one Alton Brown is always using, and it would sure be handy for measuring the temperature of the milk!

Arwen Southernwood
Outlands