[Sca-cooks] Berry answer found...

rattkitten rattkitten at bellsouth.net
Thu May 1 16:00:17 PDT 2008

See I was searching when the last email suggest to look on the
internet... who knew I was one page away from getting the answer.

OK here is the critter in question.
Mock strawberry, Indian strawberry [from the country of India] (Slide 7
<http://www.southernmatters.com/native_edibles/images/7--mock_strawberry_red.jpg>,
//Duchesnea indica// (Andr.) Focke; see also several synonyms
<http://www.plantatlas.usf.edu/synonyms.asp?plantID=155>) This Asian
weed has a southeastern range that extends down into north Florida,
where the real strawberry (/Fragaria/ spp.) is rare or absent. Though
edible, the mock strawberry is bland and will be a certain
disappointment to one who expects the semi-sweet tart flavor of a
strawberry. (This narrative relied on Bell C.R & B.J. Tarylor (1982)
/Florida Wild Flowers and Roadside Plants/. Laurel Hill Press, Chapel
Hill and several www sites.

And here is the website so that you can see why I was confused about the
strawberry thing...

*www.southernmatters.com/native_edibles/index.htm
<http://www.southernmatters.com/native_edibles/index.htm>

*Thank you this has been your botany lesson for the day.
Nichola