[Sca-cooks] Translations - re Old French Ailliee or whatver

Suey lordhunt at gmail.com
Thu May 1 21:05:13 PDT 2008

Emilio wrote:
> Godefroy, in his 'Dictionnaire de l'ancienne langue francaise et de
> >> tous ses
> >>
> >> dialectes du IXe au XVe si?cles' writes about "Ailliee":
> >>
> >> "Cette sauce ?tait d'un usage si g?n?ral que dans le treizi?me
> >> si?cle, des
> >>
> >> marchands la criaient dans les rues comme on le fait encore de nos
> >> jours
> >>
> >> pour la moutarde."

and
> look at the links provided:
>

> http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k50634z/f192.table
Johnnea added:
> Opusculum de Saporibus is up on Thomas Gloning's website
>  http://www.uni-giessen.de/gloning/tx/sapor.htm>
SCA members may have the finest minds but as I recall there are no
language requirements except English. As I have lived an international
life I certainly do admire people who can speak many languages but that
does not mean that we all have had that privilege. I really feel people
who knowingly speak a foreign language are snobs when they do that front
of people they know do not speak that language. When I am the victim I
feel hurt, irritated and rejected from their society if no one thinks of
providing me with the gist of the matter.
My opinion is that I don't think either you Emilio or Johnnea  mean that
but to prevent non-participation from intelligent, knowledgeable members
who may not understand the language in which you are writing, a summary,
at least, in English is in order. You know they may know more than we do
on the subject!
Suey