[Sca-cooks] Halwa bi-Tamar - Date-Nut "Fudge"

Lilinah lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu May 22 13:09:57 PDT 2008

I was inspired by a 13th C. anonymous Andalusian recipe.

However i confess i did alter it.

Original Recipe
A Sweet of Dates and Honey

Take Shaddakh dates. Clean them of their pits and pound a ratl of
them in a mortar. Then dilute with water in a tinjir on a gentle
fire. Add the same amount of skimmed honey. Stir it until it binds
together and throw in a good amount of peeled almonds and walnuts.
Put in some oil so it doesn't burn and to bind firmly. Pour it over a
greased salaya (stone work surface). With it you make qursas (round
cakes). Cut it with a knife in big or little pieces.

-------

First, I have no idea what Shaddakh dates are.

Next, note that the recipe calls for 1 lb dates and 1 lb honey. Ouch!
That just makes my teeth hurt!
Plus the Medjool dates were so soft and creamy. So i used much less
honey, no water, and didn't cook it. Obviously not an exact
reproduction, but, sheesh, there was already so much sugar in all the
recipes!

1. I chopped a handful or so of blanched almonds and an equal amount
of walnuts.

2. I pitted the pound of Medjool dates and removed any calyxes. I
kneaded them by hand, in a glazed ceramic bowl, until they were a
soft even amalgam.

3. I added a small amount of honey - i didn't use a measuring cup -
but i figure it was maybe 1/4 cup. Again i kneaded the dates to
distribute the honey evenly.

4. I dumped in the chopped nuts and kneaded again to evenly distribute.

5. I rolled it all into a ball.

6. I flattened the date paste ball on a sheet of baking parchment
paper on a baking sheet with low sides, working lumpy spots to make
sure it was spread out evenly. I patted it out to less than 1/4"
thick and to about the size/shape of the serving dish.

7. To serve, i cut away the paper that extended beyond the edges of
the date paste, leaving the rest of the paper under the paste, and
put it all on a serving dish. I scored the paste with a knife all the
way through to the paper (i didn't cut the paper) - first in a series
of parallel lines, then in a series of parallel lines at about a 45
degree angle from the first set. This makes nice neat "diamonds". I
left the knife with the paste to that people could cut away and
extract the pieces.
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita