[Sca-cooks] Recipe Choices (was Historical Apples)

Stanza693 at wmconnect.com Stanza693 at wmconnect.com
Sat Nov 1 09:28:07 PDT 2008

In a message dated 10/31/2008 2:10:27 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
sca-cooks-request at lists.ansteorra.org writes:

> Most
> competitions are "Spoons" - Kingdom: Wooden Spoon; Mists
> Principality: Silver Spoon; Cynagua Principality: Copper Spoon
> (although the Principality of Oertha has the Silver Ulu, a curved
> skinning/chopping tool). The new one is the Linen Spoon - all
> entrants get a piece of cloth with a picture of a spoon on it (i
> don't recall if it's embroidered or printed). I have to say i have
> not been happy with the recipe choices - they seem to be chosen for
> brevity rather than suitability for beginners. That often means that
> some ingredients are quite vague ("good herbs") and, well, i'll admit
> i don't have full confidence in the person running them, having seen
> his cooking documentation.

That raises an interesting question:  How should beginners choose a recipe
for redaction?  What criteria should a wanna-be cook use when (s)he starts
learning to "cook medieval"?  Is it number of ingredients?  Is it ease of described
process?  Is it availability of ingredients?

For example:  The first entry I did, in 2006, was "Mirrauste of Apples".  It
had a total of 5 ingredients (6 if you count the water to boil the apples)
that were very straightforward.  However, the last entry I did in September,
"Bun~uelos en forma de pez" included a statement just like you mention above:
"with good spices" -- con buenas especias.  It also instructs the cook to prepare
a "fine or thin dough" -- una pasta fina.

By spending even a little time looking at other fish recipes in the cookbooks
of the same region, it is easy enough to determine what "good spices" might
be a good approximation.  (De Nola has all those lovely fish recipes where he
says take X fish and its spices A, B, & C.)  I don't think that recipe was
beyond a beginner.  The hardest part was making pasta by hand.  Even that, I
learned wasn't difficult.

--
Constanza Marina de Huelva
www.geocities.com/stanza693/stanza-works.html